Today on the podcast we chat with lawyer and author Jeremy Streten from the Business Legal Lifecycle.
No matter what the size your practice is, you must pay attention to the legal aspects right from the start. If you don’t take care of your legal obligations and plan for the inevitable problems that will surface, you will be exposing yourself to additional stress as a private practice owner.
Jeremy breaks down the 13 phases of your business lifecycle to make it super easy for you to understand.
What is covered in this episode:
- Jeremy’s different and holistic approach to service the type of clients rather than the type of work
- How the Business Legal Lifecycle is helping small to medium business owners make the right legal discussions at the right time
- The most common mistakes made in the first five years of business
- Why it is important to get advice from consultants in all areas of your business
- Why you need to have a service agreement in place before you start working with clients
- The importance of having a debt recovery process in place
- Why you need to consider when you start employing staff
- The difference between an employee and a contractor
- The dangers of listening to ‘BBQ advice’ The four stages of your business
- An overview of the 13 phases of your business lifestyle
- What you need to consider when trademarking
- What is considered intellectual property in a private practice
- Starting with the end in mind with business planning
- The difference between scale and growth
- The importance of regularly updating your policies and procedures
- What you need to consider if you take cash payments
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions to make sure you understand the advice you are getting