Cathy and her guest speakers will energetically present the core topics required for working with children and families. Running themes will include family centered practice, celebrating the child’s unique talents, intentional teaming and coaching. Participants will
- Embrace family centered practice and explore coaching as an emerging intervention
- Explore the evaluation and management of self – regulation, anxiety and sensory processing differences
- Deepen their understanding and management of attention and executive functioning
- Expand their knowledge of standardised assessments, criterion referenced tools and clinical observations
- Explore the evaluation and management of developmental coordination disorder and dysgraphia
- Develop skills for collaborative work in schools with educators.
- Discuss and design clinical observation and report writing formats
- Expand their repertoire of practical strategies for home and school
Day One. Building the foundation. We will share what inspires us, the theories that drive our practice along with the value of reflective practice and great clinical supervision. Family centred practice will be explored and the use of coaching as a form of intervention will be introduced. Next we will explore the concept of self-regulation in children, its developmental stages and how it connects with sleep, sensory processing difficulties and anxiety. Our guest speaker will enhance our learning beautifully.
Day Two. Attention is key. We will investigate the mechanisms of attention, the current diagnostic scope of ADHD and its relevance to our practice. Next we will unpack all that is executive functioning, its assessment and evaluation and management. Drawing on our knowledge of Autism Spectrum Disorder we will discuss evaluation and intervention of executive function issues in this particular diagnostic group. Practical strategies for development of home and class participation and organisational skills will be presented. Guest speakers will join us and share up their wisdom.
Day Three. Moving Forward. We will build on our knowledge, evaluation and management of developmental coordination disorder and handwriting issues. Goal setting and practical intervention strategies will be presented. Time will be provided to collaboratively build your own whole child clinical observation checklist and report writing format. Guest speakers will bring complimentary content to the day.
About the participants. YOU are encouraged to bring a willingness to share, to contribute and to work collaboratively. Arrive with an internet ready laptop or tablet as you will be planning and preparing take home documents and resources. This workshop is ideal for occupational therapists newer to working with children and those wanting to re energise their Paeds OT thinking.